The necessity to build a Steel Plant at Galaţi was initially discussed in 1958, but the decision to build wasn’t finally taken until 1960. Construction started in July 1961 and the first production milestone, a Heavy Plate Mill, was inaugurated two years later.
Fully integrated production started in July 1968, when all the major production sites were completed, with the first batch produced by The Steel Melting Shop no.1.
The Plant was initially a state-owned company until, in 1991, it became a listed company with shares. Ten years later, the LNM Holdings Group (later ArcelorMittal) bought the State’s shares.
In 2018, ArcelorMittal announced the sale of several steel plants, including the Galaţi Steel Plant, in order to acquire the Ilva steelworks in Italy. The transaction was coordinated and carefully supervised by the European Commission.
Liberty House Group, part of the GFG Alliance owned by industrialist Sanjeev Gupta, completed its acquisition of the Galaţi Steel Plant on 1 July 2019. The plant has now been rebranded as LIBERTY Galaţi.
LIBERTY Steel plans to merge into one global group, which will incorporate the LIBERTY Galaţi steel plant, as well as...
Admet Galaţi carries out charging-discharging, sorting, transhipment and cargo services including metallurgical products and raw materials used in industry.
Health & Safety
“Health and Safety is the top priority of our company. Any incident, injury or loss of life changes lives forever:...